March 5, 2015

Say it ain't snow

Another snow day for my kiddos, and most of north Texas today.  About dinner time last night, the temp dropped below freezing and the rain turned to sleet.  After depositing a healthy layer of ice, the precipitation turned to snow sometime during the night.  Area snow measurements range from 2 to 7 inches.  My amateur stick-a-ruler-in-the-snow measurement read about 3 inches.

I woke up around 3 am, wide awake.  It was bright outside, which struck me as odd, considering the cloud cover.  I suppose the brightness is a result of the blanket of white, reflecting what light there was outside.  I entertained thoughts of cranking up "Do you wanna build a snowman..." to wake my kids, but thought that I would certainly pay the price around 1 pm when their lack of sleep caught up with them.

The forecast today has our temp above freezing by late afternoon, so the roads will clear by tomorrow.  That didn't stop 90% of the populace from cleaning out grocery store shelves.  It has become hilariously formulaic, the news coverage of a winter weather event in North Texas.  Pre-event, we get the dire forecasts, the reminders to shelter pets, cover faucets, move fragile plants inside, along with live reports with a camera shot of empty milk coolers and barren bread aisles.  As the weather moves in, the local channels break in to regular programming to show the first snowflake hitting the ground.  They interview the snow plow and sand truck crew chief, they explain the chemical make-up of the ice preventative brine used to treat bridges and airport runways.  The first rush hour of the weather will have multiple reporters camped at every critical highway juncture, lecturing people to Stay! Off! The! Roads!, as they travel from spot to spot in the station's "Thunder Truck".  This morning we sat mesmerized in front of the television as they held a 5-minute close shot of a car backing down an interstate highway flyover ramp.  And, in the hours since, every time they throw the newscast to that location, they refer to the earlier cars-in-reverse incident as "high drama".

I can't believe I sat there and watched, but it did provide a moment of sweet remembrance from my own childhood, as I watched my kids' faces when their school closing scrolled across the bottom of the screen.  Snow Day!  No matter that we had received the news via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, text, and phone message - seeing it on the television gives it that extra something.  They cheered and I smiled, remembering how liberating that news was as a child.

2 comments:

Mel said...

"They cheered and I smiled, remembering how liberating that news was as a child."
Did you take advantage of it by building a snow fort and throwing snowball at each other?

Harper said...

My kids built a small snowman and a snow turtle - the things they think of!