February 23, 2015

FOD

Last night I watched the Oscars.  Well, I read a book in the same room, while the show played on the television.  I like the music numbers, the pretty dresses, and the annual death montage which spurred me to say, "Lauren Bacall died?".  And, no, I didn't notice that they skipped Joan Rivers, Jan Hooks, and Elaine Stritch, among others.  As the names and faces of directors, writers, and marketing people scroll by, I understand that there are people unknown to me, that are important to the movie business.

I looked up from my book on occasion, as winners were announced, and listened to the self-serving crap that came out of the winners' mouths.

I find it distasteful for anyone to use an award podium as a political platform.  For actors to do so at the Oscars is all the more disrespectful and crude.  They are shitting in their own bed, so to speak.  Of course, their media darling of a president has set the example. Never before has a president acted so utterly un-presidential; be it late night talk show appearances, taking selfies at funerals, chomping on his Nicorette, and using the presidential podium as his bully pulpit.

How embarrassing that we Americans are represented to the world by Hollywood and Obama.  Part of me wishes that the outbound internet and television broadcasts stopped at our borders, so the rest of the world couldn't judge us by those who dominate the airwaves.

1 comment:

InsomniacSeeker said...

I quite watching the Academy Awards show after Richard Gere went on his epic spiel one year over China and Tibet. Granted, he may have been making a good point, but that was not the forum for it, in my opinion. Heck, I haven't been to a movie theater in years, so I really don't know who anyone is in the movies anymore, unless I see a commercial about the movie. I did enjoy the story about Clint Eastwood schooling a young actress about bringing a bottle of champagne into the auditorium - apparently it is a big No-No.

Tina