September 30, 2014

Worn Out

My house is nearly 30 years old.  The previous owners did an excellent job caring for it, but time takes a toll, and there are many things that are wearing out, seemingly all at once.  Coupled with 1-year old Labradors and 7-year old Crash, my list of things that need repaired or replaced is far outpaced by the time and money needed to do so.

I am now faced with prioritizing the needs and wants.  Sometime Sunday night, our main overhead kitchen light fixture quit.  We have some under-cabinet lighting, as well as a separate light over the sink, that has sufficed for a couple of days, but every time I walk into the damn room, I hit the switch expecting light, and am reminded that this is one of the things that needs to be fixed, and, now!

Several outside chores have been in a hold pattern, waiting for cooler weather.  Well, it looks like that weather is coming soon, so what excuse will I have for my procrastination now?

And then there are the things that I know are going to mushroom into a Major Ordeal, once the can of worms is cracked open.  The last time I had a little plumbing issue, it cost $10,000, two weeks of jack-hammering through the slab, and digging up the last nice bit of landscaping that we had, to get it fixed.

There just aren't enough hours in the day, not to mention the lack of enthusiasm when I work all week and then am faced with nothing but additional chores all weekend.  And it's football season, for goodness sake.

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

Replace the kitchen fixture with a drop light w/ 25 foot cord - $25 at Amazon. Gives you enough light to fix Mr. Harper's dinner.

Now back to the game...