August 9, 2014

What the postman knows

I was expecting a UPS delivery yesterday.  I didn't really think about it much until after dinner, then remembering to ask the kids if it had come.  They hadn't seen it, so I went to the computer to track the package.  Delivered to the porch at 3:34 pm, they said.  Not my porch, unfortunately.

A call to UPS resulted in a dazzling display of their ability to immediately shift blame.  The customer service rep, finally convinced that I had looked everywhere around my home, announced that this was now classified as 'lost in shipment' and they would begin investigating.  I suppose 'driver delivered to the wrong porch' doesn't win them any gold stars, so 'lost' is ambiguous enough to cover all situations when the box isn't where it is supposed to be.

Hours later, we retrieved the voice mail from our neighbor, telling us the box had been delivered to their porch.  Mr. H walked over and retrieved it this morning, while I sat thinking how thankful I was that it wasn't a box full of something embarrassing.  

I was also thankful that it was a box full of something of only moderate value and that I have honest neighbors, unlike the time that NHL playoff tickets were delivered to our former residence and it took a visit from law enforcement for the envelope to get returned.

Have you ever stopped to think what the postman, FedEx and UPS drivers know about people's lives?  I am not sure why people stress out about internet security without stopping to think about who delivers all of those online purchases, and what that might say about them.  Those risque purchases, in their 'plain brown wrapping', are supposed to be free from scrutiny, but I'm too chicken to order anything like that.  With my luck, the package would be delivered to my neighbors, with the contents spilling out on their front stoop.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Just to make you feel good, don't overlook the USPS and meter readers. They also keep an eye on what's going on.