August 20, 2014

Back to School

Yesterday I helped Boom move back to college.  Though she is a junior, this is the first semester that she has been granted privileges that most college freshman take for granted.  Boom is in the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M, which is a military-style college experience within the confines of an otherwise 'normal' university.  Cadets earn various privileges by class year and junior year she is finally allowed to have dorm furnishings like a rug, refrigerator, microwave, and television.

Wouldn't you know it, the first year she can have all of these things, she is also moved to the third floor of her dorm building.  Sheesh, that extra flight of stairs hurt.

We got an early start, but College Station, Texas, is hot and humid at nearly any hour in August.  And, 'The Quad', which is home to the 12 dorms that house 2,600 cadets, has no immediately adjacent parking.  And, Boom's dorm is smack in the middle, so no matter where you start from, it is a hike.

I am moving a bit slower this morning, but am glad to have helped her get settled in.  A co-worker with grown children told me that his daughters always wanted help moving to college, but with his boys, they loaded up the car and waved goodbye.  I feel better knowing that she is settled, has fresh sheets on her bed, and a stocked mini-fridge, with mostly healthy food, to start off her school year.  I think that mental picture gives me more peace of mind for the next 9 months, rather than wishing her the best as she pulls down the drive, as I am picturing a bare mattress and a beer pong table.

2 comments:

CenTexTim said...

Same here. Boy left as soon as he could move in. We're taking the girl this Sunday.

InsomniacSeeker said...

My Mom took me to the dorms my freshman year, we took my stuff to the room, and waved at her and said see ya when I see ya.