July 15, 2014

Robbed of his 15 minutes

Bang had his wisdom teeth removed this morning.

This was Bang's first significant medical procedure, his first anesthesia/sedation of any sort.  For several days, Boom, Mr. H and I had, somewhat cruelly, told him tales about what to expect.  The last thing Boom and I told him late last night, was that they tell you to wear 'loose comfortable clothing' because you have to be able to fit a diaper in them.  We told him that you lose control of your bladder and bowels while sedated, so the diaper is a precaution.  We might have forgot to tell him we were joking.

The oral surgeon had asked Bang to watch a video about the procedure.  He waited until last night to do so, and Freaked.The.Hell.Out when the spokeswoman got to the part about the possibility of death.
"I could DIE tomorrow?"
We calmed him down a bit before bed, but he didn't sleep well, and he was up early - and bemoaning the fact that he couldn't eat.

Needless to say, he made it through the procedure just fine, though he was entertaining for a good bit as he was waking up.  He would not stop talking, hugged a nurse, thanked everyone at least three times, and kept announcing how alert he was.  He went on and on about how great the sleep was.  He asked if we could get some of that IV sedation at home, so he could sleep that well every night.

While I did snap one picture of him, cozied up in a blanket, with the ice pack head wrap on, I did not video tape his endless monologue, much to the disappointment of his siblings.  I don't know that there was any hilarity along the lines of David after the dentist or, my favorite (staged or not),  Jack After Wisdom Teeth Removal, but it was entertaining to those of us that know how he normally acts.

I am sure when he is over the hump, he will think I robbed him of his 15 minutes of YouTube fame - but, then again, someday he won't be 16 anymore, and will realize I saved him years of embarrassment.

No comments: