June 11, 2014

Clickstreams & Cookies

I am not sure what sort of trickery and database tracking is involved in the customized ads that show up on various internet sites.  I do a fair to middlin' job at clearing my cache, deleting cookies, using ad blockers - but there are still places where these things creep in, and it tends to crack me up.

I can't remember what I might have Googled, or what sort of article I might have read that has gifted me with an ongoing stream of advertisements for CPAP equipment.  Whatever it was, Chicks on the Right's articles feature such ads, which usually ask me if I am tired of my old, bulky, or loud CPAP equipment.  Having never owned any such equipment, I have never been tempted to click through, though I am sure if I did need CPAP equipment, I would want something new, small, and quiet.

I was encouraged by the CPAP ad that popped up today.  Apparently, the magic of internet cookies has determined that I am younger than previously thought, as the photo accompanying the CPAP ad now features a youthful, pretty face.  Surely that is because they are trying to more accurately appeal to me, and my other track-able internet activities suggest youth and vitality - with a CPAP.

I do have one piece of advice for the marketing genius behind these ads; get a better Photoshop designer.


3 comments:

CenTexTim said...

That piece of plastic over the model's nose and mouth looks strangely like the protective cup that goes inside men's athletic supporters...

Harper said...

Maybe that is why there is no oxygen hose attached to it.

CenTexTim said...

The eyebrows and mustache remind me of Groucho Marx...