May 29, 2014

End of School Ragamuffins

My kids get out of school next week.  Despite nearly a week of snow days, their last day remains as originally scheduled, a gift from the state board of education.

The end can't come soon enough, if the fit and wear of their uniforms and school supplies is any indicator.  I just can't bring myself to spend money on new items at this time of year.  The younger ones grow too fast, and, for the rest of it, well, I suppose I am in a mindset that school expenditures should be over for a few months - no matter what.  I have written plenty of checks for end of year field trips and activities, I sure as heck don't need to run out and buy new school items.

While I appreciate the standards and ease of dressing kids in uniforms, it gets tiresome when there is so little time left in the year, and the items that they seem to outgrow the most frequently are those that they wouldn't wear outside of school.  And, all of my kids seem to have a Spring Break growth spurt just weeks before school is ending.

I love my kiddos, and I wouldn't absolutely deny them anything if it was going to cause them embarrassment or harassment, but there is an important lesson to be learned about frugality.  So, yes, that will be my little Crash on Monday, receiving his end of year rewards in a white oxford that comes untucked when he lifts his arms and dress pants that are now capri length.

No comments: