April 22, 2014

Douchebaggery at its finest

I have no clue who this character, Mike Elk, is.  I gleaned from the linked article that he is some sort of 'labor reporter'.  Reading his bleg post on gofundme, I gather that he is a union member that travels around walking picket lines and reporting on other union member's 'fights'.

Apparently, union reporters don't make enough money to take vacations, so Mr. Elk crowd-funded a recent beach vacation for himself.

Shortly after his 'free' vacation, Mr. Elk found out that he is going to be laid off in June.  He quickly took to gofundme, again, to start soliciting donations to cover living expenses, even though he is two months from the layoff.  He makes this compelling argument:
While I don't mind sleeping on an air mattress, I do still have to pay the bill at Waffle House. Likewise, I need money to pay for plane tickets, rental cars, and really horrific airport food so that we can keep getting you an exclusive in depth snapshot of what is happening during one of the most important union drives in a generation.  
This 'most important' union drive is that of the UAW trying to organize workers at the Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Mr. Elk's statement perfectly summarizes the union mentality.  How many people get two months' notice that they are losing their job?  If I had eight weeks' advance notice, I think I would immediately start securing another source of income - NOT commit myself to continuing to do a job that they were going to stop paying me to do.

And I can't imagine any scenario, in which I, as an able-bodied American, would choose to beg people for charity when I have the means and resources to support myself.

No comments: