March 4, 2014

Taking Teen Angst to New Levels

I think we all had those rebellious teenage moments (some more than others), in which we yearned for the day of our magical 18th birthday.  Legal adulthood.  I remember I got a humorous birthday card that reminded me that I could be tried as an adult, but couldn't buy beer.  But, oh, the sweet sense of freedom.

I lived at home beyond 18, and while I had 'freedom', I also had a job, and shared responsibility at home.  I made car payments, got myself to and from work and school, cooked, cleaned, and mowed.  I didn't feel put upon, or entitled to sit around and watch MTV all day, but I suppose that is because I grew up being an active member of my family, not a little princess like this brat:
A New Jersey teenager claiming that her mother and father tossed her out of their home and cut her off financially is suing them for immediate support, current private-school fees and future college tuition. The parents, meanwhile, say that daughter Rachel Canning, 18, moved out voluntarily after refusing to abide by their rules.
And what big, bad rules they had, too.  They had asked her to reconsider her relationship with a boyfriend, which is likely a much nicer way to say that they forbid her to see him, they asked her to be respectful to them, and they set a curfew for her.  Pretty standard parent stuff.

According to the brat, her parents arbitrarily kicked her out the day she turned 18, cutting off all "financial and emotional" support. So now she is demanding that they pay her private school tuition, her "living and transportation expenses", and give her the money they saved to pay for her to go to college.  The lawsuit made possible because the friend she has been staying with has a lawyer for a daddy.  Obviously the kind of lawyer-daddy that treats his little girl like a spoiled princess and will use our legal system to try and force others to be bad parents, too.

As ridiculous and frivolous as the lawsuit sounds, it does strike a chord of fear - I haven't (yet) had a really rebellious child, but I think that if I did, some similar action would be taken.  I certainly am not going to pay for phones, cars, insurance, etc., for a kid running wild and not abiding by my house rules.  It seems disingenuous that I am legally responsible for a child's debts until that magical birthday, but a court will consider extending that responsibility into legal adulthood.

If the courts set some precedent about parents supporting adult children, well, that is a very slippery slope.  Where in the world would you draw the line?  None of the things this kid is asking for are life necessities.  She isn't hungry, or naked, or homeless, or ill.  She wants her cell phone and car and swanky private school, and then she wants four years of sorority parties.  On someone else's dime.

Somebody get that poor girl an Obamaphone and some college loans that a future democratic government will forgive.  If Obama had a daughter,...oh, wait...

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

The precedent has been set. Under obamacare your child can free-ride on your health insurance until age 26. How long before some kid sues his parents because they took him off the policy?