January 31, 2014

For the record

I am not a fan of weddings.

To be clear, I am not a fan of the ceremony part.  I get it, I appreciate the commitment and the whole 'before God, family and friends' thing, but, really, I don't have to be there to know that it happened.

I like weddings for the party.  Not just the party party, but the bigger picture of family gathering together, reminiscing, sharing meals and stories.  And, nothing else has quite the same entertainment quotient as funny-crazy-humiliating drunk-family wedding dancing.  And the cake, yum, especially the groom's cake.

But I digress.

This sudden television infatuation with celebrity performed weddings, regardless of who is getting 'married', is stupid.  Celebrity political statements are just as stupid.

The only people who give a rat's ass about the political agenda of television networks and celebrities are people incapable of an independent thought.  Back in the day, I loved me some Leif Garrett, Shaun Cassidy, and Scott Baio.  I saved my nickels for Tiger Beat, so I could plaster my bedroom walls with their faces.  I soaked up their music and television appearances, but I never modeled my life's beliefs after theirs.

I am not sure who to thank for my character; my family, growing up in the Midwest in the 70's, or something bigger, but, I appreciate whatever forces shaped my ability to keep fantasy and reality in their own distinct categories, and to have a life worth living on its own, not vicariously through some celebrity flavor of the month.

2 comments:

jeff said...

Easy squeezy Harper. You learned reality versus fantasy at a young age thanks to you parents. Its not a phenomenon, just a lost art.

jeff said...

"your" parents...damn.