December 3, 2013

Things that don't matter

I suppose maybe it is a result of growing up and growing older, the lens through which we view the world changes.  As we create life and see life end, our priorities shift, what matters to us changes and we develop the ability to shake our head and walk away from things, or smile knowingly and accept whatever situation we are faced with.

I used to be a 'why' person.  I needed to know everything.  Yes, I was the kid that read encyclopedias.  I like to understand the way things work, why things happen, what actions result in which outcomes.  Now, I am more accepting, tolerant, and more willing to accept what life hands me.

I hate the way our media picks apart lives lost, in some misdirected mission for 'the truth'.  People are no less dead, whether we ever know exactly how they died or not.  I can respect a family member's need to know for closure.  I can respect reasonable intervention if the death was the result of something that could harm others in the future.  But mostly, I think we should let people rest in peace, and recognize that their peace is not the same as our peace.

Paul Walker and Roger Rodas died in a car accident.  If they were racing, or intoxicated, or speeding, then it is certainly senseless and shameful - but they are no less gone.  If the car malfunctioned, then we certainly should discover the cause. 

Four people died in a train derailment, and dozens were injured.  Perhaps the train was traveling too fast.  Perhaps someone made an error.  Obviously something went wrong.  The technical and mechanical issues should be fully vetted.  If the person in control of the train made a mistake, then that should be dealt with.  But, there will certainly be untoward and unnecessary personal details of each of their lives put on display for all the world to see.

Unfortunately, by the time the media finishes their investigation, too many unrelated and private details of their lives will be revealed to an eager public.

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

I had a slightly different take on the two accidents. I saw a crowd of people who knew Paul Walker only via his screen persona crying at the scene of the wreck. The only people I saw grieving for the train accident victims were their relatives and loved ones.

Paul Walker and Roger Rodas appear to have died as a result of their actions. The train wreck victims died as a result of either mechanical failure or someone else's actions. Yet who gets the most attention? Who is mourned by a greater number of people?

The cult of celebrity is beyond my understanding.