December 4, 2013

Skiing Stoned

The problem with believing in small government is that sometimes, though not nearly as often as the government thinks, just sometimes, there doesn't seem to be any other way to deal with an issue, other than heavy-handed government regulation.

For the record, I generally support legalization of marijuana. It isn't a hot-button issue for me, so I don't have a bulleted list of talking points and opinions, but in my experience, it just isn't that big of a deal.

Which reveals this conundrum; how to support the legalization of the use of a mind altering substance but keep it from impacting my family?

It has been entertaining, to sit back in the comfort of my Texas home, and watch the wackadoodles in Colorado and on the left coast deal with the legalization of marijuana.  It is fun to watch the video of big pot festivals, with the hippie wannabes and the re-born flower children dancing like the baby from Ally McBeal.

Thinking about those people, on skis (or a lift), near my family, sobers the mood a bit:
Rocky Mountain resorts are preparing for a rush of pot smokers looking to light up on the slopes. One might think that skiing and pot-smoking would be an unwise combination -- and that's probably correct. But a handful of marijuana-themed ski trips already are being marketed, and the state's ski industry is trying to get in front of what could be a dangerous fad.
The illegality of a substance tends to keep those using it mostly on the down-low.  I suppose I hadn't really thought about all of the potential places and ways that openly stoned people might interact with my family.

I guess I had always thought that most of the stoned people would stay home - because that was my reason for not having an issue with legalization.  What people do in their own home is their business.  When they take it outside, I guess I have an issue with it.  But there is no way to effectively police that.

Which brings me to the question...is there a way to definitively tell if someone is stoned?  We have breathalyzers for alcohol, is there something similar for dope?  As states have legalized the substance, what have they done to define marijuana intoxication, and what levels are incapacitating?
 
I guess it all boils down to the unavoidable truth about humans and regulation...you can't fix, or regulate, stupid.

Looks like New Mexico is the place for winter recreation now. 

No comments: