December 29, 2013

Retrospective Time

It is hard to open a newspaper, turn on the television, or click around the internet without running into some sort of 'year in review' article or slideshow.  Some are entertaining, some informative, and some that reinforce my belief that we are witnessing the decline of civilization.

I like to review the 'big news stories' of the year, and I always appreciate the review of notable deaths. 

I do not need to know about celebrity marriages, divorces, births - especially the celebration of those that are out of wedlock or by surrogate, or that resulted in a name more commonly considered to be a direction on a map.  I don't care which rehab center is en vogue.  I don't care about the top ten plastic surgery disasters of the year.

I suppose it is time for me to review how 2013 went for me.  No major illnesses, thank God.  No family crises.  No (immediate) family births, deaths, marriages, or significant progress toward any of those events.

This year passed me by particularly fast.  I know that is often said, but, really, I just recently got to the point that I didn't have to stop and think about the year when writing the date on something. 

While it isn't Thanksgiving, I think the end of the year is a good time to reflect on the blessings of my life; good friends and a family that I love.  Not much else matters.

No comments: