December 19, 2013

Into the Duck Fray

I love Duck Dynasty.  It is a refreshing respite from other crass reality shows.  I enjoy seeing a family that loves one another, shares values similar to mine, and has a crazy uncle.  I suppose there are some people in America that watch Duck Dynasty and think that they are backward murderous simpletons that are making millions off of hunting-related products and, now, a television show that highlights traditional values and practices that are completely foreign to many city dwellers.

No matter what 'they' think, the right to free speech belongs to all Americans.  We also have the privilege of religious freedom.  And, I am having a little difficulty reconciling those rights with the statements released by hate-filled people, that claim Phil Robertson should be denied of those rights.
"Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil's lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe," GLAAD spokesperson Wilson Cruz said. "He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans -- and Americans -- who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples. Phil's decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors, who now need to re-examine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families."
I am not sure how you can take someone's opinion and label it as a 'lie'.  And, for the record, the state of Louisiana does not recognize same sex marriage.

I read somewhere, that approximately 2% of our population would/could/should be labeled as 'gay', meaning that, once again, the virulent minority is deciding how things should be for the other 98%.  And that results in headlines like this:
A married, heterosexual gym teacher at a tony Upper West Side private school was fired because his lesbian supervisor disapproved of his “traditional family status,” the canned teacher claims in a new Manhattan lawsuit.
If I've said it once, I've said it one hundred times - minority groups, alternative lifestyle types and all of the rest - they don't want equal treatment, they want special treatment.  They don't want to be accepted, they want to be praised and put on a pedestal for their lifestyle choices.  I don't walk into my workplace each day and proclaim that I am white, heterosexual and proud.  I don't have any T-shirts or bumper stickers that make the statement for me as I shop and travel around town.  I am content in my own skin, with my own beliefs, just like Phil Robertson.  I have no burning desire or need to share those sentiments with anyone, but, hell, if I were being interviewed by GQ and they asked me about my beliefs, I have every right to speak my own personal truth.  Just like any gay person.  And just like Phil Robertson.

No comments: