December 6, 2013

A Quick Quote

I have a habit of emailing myself things.  Bits of information, links I want to recall soon, and other flotsam and jetsam that would get lost were it not staring back at me via my email inbox.  Of course, this leads to frequent and significant ballooning of the number of emails residing in the generic "Inbox" folder, and on cold, icy nights, I sometimes click through a couple hundred and see why they were worth saving in the first place. 

I emailed this quote to myself in May of 2008.  I think I have seen it in fairly regular rotation, as our president has reigned over this country, but was struck anew tonight at how aptly Donald James Wheal's writing applies to America, today.
A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.

No comments: