November 23, 2013

Pink is not my color

Sigh.

I hate cold weather.  I am especially perturbed by cold weather coupled with precipitation.  Welcome to my pink hell:



Pink on this graphic indicates a winter storm, which signifies, in this instance, ICE.  No fluffy white snow for the kids to play in, no pretty flakes to land on tongues.  ICE.  Black ice on the roads in which all of the inexperienced Texas drivers will be playing vehicle pinball prior to landing in the ditches.  Heavy ice on tree limbs and power lines, causing outages and road blockages.  No winter fun, just forced captivity and/or treachery on the roads.

Luckily, my kid has college classes at least through Tuesday.  While I was envious of her peer's parents crowing about the impending arrival of their scattered collegians this weekend, now I am thankful that Boom isn't on the road or trying to catch a flight home until this mess has cleared out.

My saving grace for this weather event may be that I have already purchased a few Christmas gifts - the sort that can be broken out for entertainment, should the natives get restless during their confinement. 

I joked that it is Murphy's Law of Texas winters, that the first potential 'bad weather day' for which they might have missed school, falls during their Thanksgiving break.  While they will miss that distinct childhood glee from a Snow Day, they also won't have to make it up at the end of the year.

3 comments:

CenTexTim said...

I enjoy the cold weather. It's a nice break from the norm, and it's a great opportunity to cook all sorts of casseroles, stews, and soups that just don't go well with warmer weather.

Of course, I now have plenty of time to putter around in the kitchen. Plus our kids are at that age where they amuse themselves. That may alter my perspective...

InsomniacSeeker said...

It's very cold up here, but the precipitation in the city was too bad. They got a whole lot more in SW part of state, where I grew up.
Hopefully the stuff overnight won't be too bad either.
The worst thing up here is the wind that comes with these dang low temps. Cuts right through you.

CenTexTim said...

As I like to say, it's as cold as my ex-wife's heart...