October 4, 2013

Galveston Oh Galveston

Forgive my absence, I have been suffering through a conference in Galveston, Texas.  Of course, it has been beautiful, with sunshine, warm weather, and few tourists at this time of the year - but, I also have to sit through several hours of ass numbing workshops each day.

I have realized that the organization that I am here with, has a very liberal national leadership committee.  I have also been exposed to something I was peripherally aware of; the leadership of Galveston, and the surrounding area, is very liberal.  Much talk about wealth redistribution, in terms of housing, opportunity, and assistance.  I believe that everyone deserves a fair opportunity, but I don't think that includes providing assistance and housing for them to live on an island and in a community that many gainfully employed people can't afford.

It is always enlightening, and entertaining, to visit with leaders and politicians in areas that are so different in landscape and ideology.  Things that are assumed as truth and the American Way here seem completely foreign to others.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to that plane ride out of here tonight.

On the other hand, it sure is pretty...



Video from the Galveston Island Convention & Visitors Bureau

1 comment:

Mel said...

I have also been exposed to something I was peripherally aware of; the leadership of Galveston, and the surrounding area, is very liberal.

The last electoral map I saw showed all the south border counties along with Austin and Dallas as liberal. I hope it decreases in the coming elections.