September 28, 2013

Campaigning for the opponent

I, somewhat begrudgingly, am a subscriber to Texas Monthly magazine.  I don't know if I have ever actually paid for it, as for the better part of two decades, the annual renewal is a Christmas gift from my mother.

I do enjoy some of the content.  The food and restaurant reviews and articles, especially the annual barbeque issue, have provided my family with bellies full of excellent food we might not otherwise have discovered.  The travel issues have served us well, adding to itineraries and providing information that non-Texas guides would not.

Unfortunately, anything related to politics, and the subjects that are framed by them (education, immigration, healthcare, etc), are covered in a very Austin-esque liberal light in the magazine.  I don't bother with the editorial content at all, and know to steer clear of most of the articles.

This week, the October issue of TM hit my mailbox, just as the news that Wendy Davis, liberal darling of Texas, was going to run for governor.  She hasn't officially announced it yet, but all of her people are confirming that it will happen and an announcement event is scheduled for next week.  Many people think that Ted Cruz's filibuster coverage was the impetus for the Davis leak.  I think it might have had something to do with the fact that liberal TM, which will certainly support Davis, and
...has a paid circulation of 300,000 and is read by more than 2,500,000 people each month—one out of seven Texas adults...
just published this gem of a cover:

No comments: