August 24, 2013

The smell of academia

I don't dwell much on the missed opportunities in my life.  My place in life is owed to the path I took to get here, and I have a wonderful family, a roof over our heads, food in our pantry, and the ability to provide things for our children that we didn't have growing up.

I do have to admit that each time I visit my daughter's college campus, I experience a bit of longing - I didn't do the full college experience, working instead, and taking a few classes here and there as life allowed.  When we are moving her in or out, or visiting for an event, I spend a few minutes, trying to soak in the atmosphere of the college campus - the sights, sounds, and smells, and think about how wonderful it would be to have little more responsibility in life than to go to a couple of classes a week.

I suppose this is the root of the saying that 'youth is wasted on the young'. 

As much as the mom in me wants my kids to excel at the academic side of things, I hope that they soak it all in and have no regrets about how they spent their college years.  I hope they do some crazy things, take some risks, make memories. 

Of course, the desire to see my daughter having fun may be drastically altered around mid-term grade time.  Remind me then, of what I said today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Harper. I might have been cruel and/or sarcastic at one time. But 25 plus years of political correctness has made me bite my tongue. But a few months from now I'll just smile ( as you post updates) and refrain from rubbing salt in your wounds.
Mel