August 13, 2013

Life is more amusing than we thought

The post title an Andrew Lang quote on Forbes lead in page to an article on yet another Obamacare delay.  The dominoes toppling on that front are amusing, but not quite as funny to me as this story:
An animal welfare group intent on sending a message in support of veganism hid until closing time then poured red paint over the Iowa State Fair's butter cow...
...Iowans for Animal Liberation claimed responsibility for the attack in a news release emailed Sunday night...
...The words "Freedom for all" were scrawled on a display window.
"The paint represents the blood of 11 billion animals murdered each year in slaughterhouses, egg farms, and dairies," the group said in the statement. "We intend this action to serve as a wake up call to all who continue to consume meat, dairy, eggs, leather, and all animal products: You are directly supporting suffering and misery on the largest scale the world has ever known."
I can't help but giggle at the stupid.  Where do these whackadoodles come from?  Are they descendants of the peace, love, and children named Moonbeam generation? 
There are many things in life that I feel passionate about.  There are some that I would vehemently defend and uphold - unto myself.  I cannot imagine any situation that would lead me to impose my beliefs on another, especially in a ridiculous and destructive manner. 
This group claims to have painted butter, as a wake up call to all consumers of meat and meat by-products.  
I did a little Googling, and found many references to the animal products in paint.  On a vegan-friendly artist supply website, I found a mention that a certain paint manufacturer's spray glues were animal free - and clicked on over to their website to see if maybe their spray paint was animal free as well.  I never found any evidence of that, and instead, was awarded with another giggle-inducing irony.  Vegans must not read MSDS notices, or they would note that the products they tout as being animal-free employ animal testing to gauge potential side effects.
I would propose that, what these nutjobs contend is, 'the suffering an misery on the largest scale the world has ever known', is offset, in a traditional yin and yang fashion, by the great enjoyment of those who appreciate a good steak and a fine pair of boots.

No comments: