August 6, 2013

Juiced League

Since I think that governance and the commercialization of baseball is what killed the true spirit of what was once the Great American Pastime, I won't be surprised if someone creates a league for players that want to use performance enhancing drugs.

It seems to be the new American way.  Participation trophies so no one gets their feelings hurt.  No-cut team sports.  And, for all those 'professional' athletes that can't make the big leagues we have scads of semi-professional leagues and showcases.  Why not add a juiced league to the mix?

Many Cub Scout packs figured out long ago that dads are the worst offenders when it comes to cheating at the annual pinewood derby races.  So, many of them now have an 'outlaw' class, for the dads to build their own, no rules and no hold's barred, race.  I have actually seen a car in which there was a chamber for a M-80 to be inserted for rocket propulsion. 

We have become a society that accommodates cheaters.  And, if there is a buck to be made, someone will figure out how to do capitalize on it.

My hometown team has a player involved in this latest fiasco, and his decision not to appeal the punishment was based solely on how the timing would affect his bottom line, his marketability on the free agent market.  Not his love of the game.  Not his shame at cheating.  Just his future paychecks.

I could care less whether Alex Rodriguez ever sets foot on the diamond again.  A little piece of my baseball fan-heart died the first time I sat at a Texas Rangers game and they played the chorus to 'Ride Wit Me' when they introduced A-Rod:
If you wanna go and take a ride wit me
We three-wheelin in the fo' with the gold D's
Oh why do I live this way? (Hey, must be the money!)

If you wanna go and get high wit me
Smoke a L in the back of the Benz-y
Oh why must I feel this way? (Hey, must be the money!)
I am a sports fan, and I love baseball, but not this monopolistic, over-priced, over-commercialized, over-regulated business it has become.  Yeah, it must be the money.

No comments: