August 27, 2013

I agree with Syria...

Syria on Tuesday said U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry was lying when he stated there was "undeniable" evidence of a large-scale chemical attack likely launched by Damascus, accusing him of disregarding the work of U.N. investigators.
I have probably mentioned it before - we have a saying around our office, used when rumors or innuendo get stirred up.  When a subject is raised, and accusations and blame are flying, someone will ask, "Did you see penetration?"  It is a coarse way to simplify, but it works - if you didn't see it with your own eyes, it didn't happen.

While I will concede that there are many things in life that I believe to be true, even though I didn't see them with my own eyes, I do try to form those beliefs around otherwise irrefutable evidence.  I am not currently aware of any irrefutable evidence that chemicals were used to attack anyone.  Sure, I have seen the pictures, but, well, I don't know that any of them come from trustworthy sources.  Don't misunderstand, I tend to think that there was a chemical attack, I just haven't seen any proof of it. 

And, even if the use of chemicals is confirmed, there is the pesky issue of whose chemicals they were and who used them against whom.  Stating a suspicion or belief is understandable, but to declare knowledge that one does not possess is foolish.   


Paraphrasing an old lawyer joke - 'Of course Kerry is lying, his lips are moving.'

No comments: