August 11, 2013

Adults acting like children

I resisted the siren's call of social media until, kicking and screaming, I got pulled into the Facebook fray by Kerrcarto.  I had avoided social media up to that point.  He was planning my favorite weekend of the year (one that has been sorely missed this season), and issued the invitation through FB.  I had no choice but to enter the world of "Friends" and "Likes"

I have kept my FB activity and circle of 'friends' to a minimum.  While I enjoy the ability to keep up with friends and family that I might not see or talk to frequently, I still think of social media as mostly a younger person's game.  I have seen the constant stream of consciousness and banal status posts that my children's friends feel that they must share with the world. It is almost voyeuristic, to sit and read, what once would have been, information and emotions shared only with close friends.  Yet, there it is, for everyone to see. 

So kids will be kids, and I don't begrudge them the technological advances that frame their social beings.  I am driven to distraction by adults that have seized upon FB (and Twitter, and Instagram, and Snapchat., etc.) and use it as a required part of their lives - and demand that their FB friends do the same.

A friend at work, whom I love dearly, has a real problem with it.  If she posts a photo or something, every person she tags in it must immediately comment or 'like' it, or her feelings are hurt.  She issues dinner invitations, instructions to her family, medical updates and every recipe known to man - and expects that those in need of the information will be seeking it on FB.

If she sends a gift that is delivered; such as flowers or a mailed birthday present, she will eagerly watch FB, expecting a photo of the item and a note of thanks to be posted.  I have seen her go so far as to check her credit card to verify the charges for a flower order, call the shop and inquire about when they were delivered, and then fume because a new mother hadn't found time - from her hospital bed - to get on FB and acknowledge the gift.

On the flip side, I have seen her reaction when someone posted a photo of the flowers she sent, which were clearly not up to the standard of what she had ordered and paid for.  Hard for a florist to argue when you have photographic evidence on FB and threaten to post the 'what I ordered and what I got' status.

Let the kids do their thing with all the social media, but don't think you can change this grown-up's  opinion of what communication truly means.

No comments: