July 12, 2013

Boom's Birthday

19 years ago today, I became a mother for the first time.  Much is written about the terrible two's and adolescence, but I must have missed the bookstore section on young adulthood.

It has been quite the whirlwind, watching that sweet chubby-cheeked infant grow into the woman she is today.  And I will be the first to admit that I am still startled and amazed by the things that are uniquely her.  I can point to the evidence of my gene pool, and that of her father, but it is the things that came from the combination of the two that astound me.

Of course she is beautiful and smart - but she possesses an even keel that eludes me.  It is a little odd, to see qualities in your kids that you love, but can take absolutely no credit for.

At this point in her life, she is focused on the things she needs to pave her chosen path in life.  My biggest worry is that she isn't having enough fun along the way.  I hesitate to verbalize that concern, lest I live to regret it! 

I have friends and family members that are quite happy in long marriages without children.  I am not the sort to harangue them, and tell them what they are missing.  To each his own.  But, man, I wouldn't trade the joy and heartbreak of being a mom for anything in the world.

Happy Birthday, Boom.

2 comments:

CenTexTim said...

Our oldest turned 19 a few weeks ago. I know what you mean about the whirlwind journey, and I share your amazement at the (almost) finished result. Where we differ, however, is that we have just the opposite concern about the whole "having enough fun along the way" thing...

Anonymous said...

Harper, don't worry. She shares both genes and may amaze you. But rest assured shes having fun along the way. It's just that you haven't found out about it.
Yet!
Mel.