June 6, 2013

D-Day

It breaks my heart to read that 600 WWII veterans die each day.  It shouldn't be surprising, I can do math, and realize that after 69 years, the ranks of the survivors is dwindling. 

I think the number gives me pause because it not only signifies a great loss of lives, it is a startling reminder of how many people served during that great war. 

I have a treasured memory of standing at Pointe du Hoc, one I like to share repeatedly when I am visiting my daughter at college.  At Texas A&M, the name James Earl Rudder is highly revered - the man that led the 2nd Ranger Battalion as they stormed Pointe du Hoc on D-Day is an Aggie.  He graduated from A&M and then returned as the school's president for several years. 

I would have liked to be in Normandy today.  Though the number of survivors of the invasion are dwindling, there are still a good number of current military members that splash through the surf, rally on the beach, and pay tribute to those that came before them. 

I have a jar of seashells that I gathered on the beaches of France, to remind me, and my family of that greatest generation and their service.  The survivors may be few, but their sacrifice is immeasurable.

No comments: