June 6, 2013

A cold wind blowing in Hell

Hell hasn't frozen over, but it is cooling off...Al Gore said something I agree with.
"In the digital era, privacy must be a priority. Is it just me, or is secret blanket surveillance obscenely outrageous?" he said in a post on Twitter.
This, in response to the report in The Guardian that Verizon has been turning over phone records to the NSA, per a court order for surveillance.

Like many of you, I have been listening for weeks as the news wonks talk about how many ways the DOJ has erred, in the way they obtained search warrants for various journalists' phone and email records.  Countless attorneys and judges have taken the microphone and talked about specificity, and the importance of a narrow path for those seeking to capture a citizen's personal communications.

Gore's 'obscenely outrageous' description will have to do, because I can't think of any better way to describe our government's overreach.  Like that Tea Party lady said in the IRS-related hearing, our government has forgotten its place.

Verizon provides my television, internet and landline service.  Yes, I still have a landline - it is cheap but necessary for various reasons.  My cell service is with another carrier.  The home phone doesn't ring that often, but scrolling through the call log, I can see that the government will have to wade through telemarketing calls and robocalls from politicians.  Hey, maybe that is what they are looking for...Governor Huckabee, stop calling me, the Feds are gonna pin me as a conservative and audit my tax returns.

No comments: