May 18, 2013

Taken to the woodshed

I am sure that most stopping by here have seen this beautiful statement of facts from Pennsylvania Representative Mike Kelly.



While thoroughly entertaining on several levels; the schadenfreude of watching the IRS chief squirm and hearing a politician speak plainly among them, I was most struck by this one point:
You talked about that you’re a horribly run organization. If you’re on the other side of the fence, you’re not given that excuse. When the IRS comes in, you’re not allowed to be shoddy. You’re not allowed to be run horribly. You’re not allowed to make mistakes. You’re not allowed to do one damn thing that doesn’t come into compliance. And if you do, you’re held responsible right then.
And that is it, dead on.  There are what, almost 74,000 pages of federal tax code?  (Not to mention state and local laws).  But the IRS expects the average Joe Plumber to have full command of those laws.  The IRS does not accept "my accountant scammed me", or "I am a crappy bookkeeper", or "I'll resign" as viable excuses when they send their audit henchmen.

Kudos to Rep Kelly, nicely done, sir.

No comments: