May 7, 2013

Oh my achin' ass

There are some things in life that I find very insulting, for instance, if I am folding your laundry (children) don't stand there watching me, or even worse, ask if you can do something fun.  Help fold your damn clothes! 

When I get a LinkedIn request from a co-worker, click to accept, and then see that their current job description more accurately describes the part of their job that I do for them, I am a little put out.

And when I read about a celebrity (of sorts) bitching about having to pay their taxes, I am not only insulted by their arrogance, but also feel a burning need to punch them in the mouth.
Grammy-winning singer Lauryn Hill stood in federal court Monday and compared her experience in the music business to the slavery her ancestors endured before a judge sentenced her to three months in prison for failing to pay about $1 million in taxes over the past decade.
"I am a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them," Hill said before U.S. Magistrate Madeline Cox Arleo. "I had an economic system imposed on me."
I wonder if her computer programmer father or English teacher mother is the slave that she speaks of?

Thank goodness that the judge didn't buy the 'imposition' excuse:
Assistant U.S. Attorney Sandra Moser acknowledged Hill's creative talent and work on behalf of impoverished children but called Hill's explanation for her actions "a parade of excuses centering around her feeling put upon" that don't exempt her from her responsibilities.
 Ms Hill is about to have another system imposed on her, as she serves a brief prison term.  

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

Oh, my. Where to start?

Perhaps with the supposition that she, like over 90% of 'children of former slaves,' voted for the idiot-in-chief who has raised income taxes, and is doing his damnedest to raise them even more.

Or maybe with the observation that if she spent her 'brief prison term' picking cotton she might have a better understanding of the slave system.

Or with the fact that most of us manage to calculate and pay our taxes on time, no matter how much we disagree with the system. And we don't have a 7-figure income.

If you don't like the system, work to change it. And don't keep voting for idiots who want to make it worse.