May 22, 2013

It is a lie, liar.

What is it about politicians that they don't want to call someone on their outright lies?  Twice this week, I have heard elected officials rant on and on about the lies coming out surrounding the various scandals, and then, at the moment of truth, when the reporter asked the interviewee if the president or White House spokesperson had lied, they answered with the same statement, "Well, they didn't tell the truth."

In one case, it was John McCain, and he went on to explain that, while he felt that the president had not told the truth, he was still the president, claiming, I suppose, some misplaced respect for the office.

I guess I can see the old school desire to want to appear supportive of our country's leadership, although I am not sure who we need to keep up that facade for.  Certainly not the people of this nation.  And most foreign countries got their dose of Obama reality long ago.

What is this aversion to calling a spade a spade?  Oops, that is now considered racist, isn't it?  Why can't politicians call them like they see them?  They can go on and on about "not telling the truth" but won't utter what is essentially the textbook definition of "not telling the truth" - lying.

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

The current buzzword is "misspoke," as in "I didn't tell a lie. I misspoke."

Like George Washington said, "I cannot misspeak. I chopped down the cherry tree."