May 27, 2013

Decoration Day

No FOD, just thanks.

I am not sure when or why the name of today's 'holiday' changed from Decoration Day to Memorial Day.  I suppose someone thought 'memorial' was more fitting to the occasion.  Some towns, including the one my kids go to school in, still call it Decoration Day, and, true to the name, decorate the graves of veterans at their small cemetery, and have a ceremony befitting the occasion.

Our flag is out, we have plans to spend the day quietly with family - I hope that our reverence and remembrance makes up for those that think this day is meant for something else.
In Flanders Fields
John McCrae, 1915. 
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Click here to be taken to the Military Times' 'Honor the Fallen' webpage.  There is a photograph and information for service members that have died for our freedom fighting in Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom and New Dawn.  Thank you, and I hope that your families have found some peace in knowing that so many other people grieve with you.

1 comment:

InsomniacSeeker said...

I will go and place flowers on graves of family members who served in the military. My Mom and her Mother always took time to do this, so I do it for them now that they no longer can.

My Mom's dad was in the Navy. My Dad was in the 82nd Airborne at the end of WWII. My Great Grandfather Andrew Jackson Peck was in the Civil War. They are all buried at cemeteries near my hometown. - tina