April 18, 2013

Praying for West

As a north Texan that often travels I-35 to points southward, the town of West, Texas, is familiar.  West is a Czech-settled community that is famous for stores and restaurants that serve Czech specialties, and an annual festival that celebrates their heritage..  Traveling home from College Station last weekend, we stopped at the famous "Czech Stop" and loaded up on kolaches (and one ginger molasses cookie for me - man, I love those things).  Everyone in my family plans their pit stops for exit 353.

I love that little town, and hope that as the sun comes up this morning, the residents of West will see the huge outpouring of support from their fellow Texans.  Yes, there is certainly heartbreaking devastation and loss of life, but almost as soon as the explosion happened, citizens and businesses rolled up their sleeves to help out.  The nearest Home Depot stayed open all night so people could come get supplies.  The local car dealership opened up as a safe haven.  Restaurants fed the hungry.  Blood centers opened early to start taking donation. Organizations began gathering supplies and hit the road to fill needs.

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst, and keeping the lovely little town of West close to my heart today.

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

I've been to Westfest a couple of times. Great people. Always had a lot of fun.

"keeping the lovely little town of West close to my heart today"

Ditto.