April 3, 2013

If I ran the world

I must admit that I had it pretty cushy for quite a few years.  Funny, I never really thought I would look back at being an Army wife, living in a foreign country while my husband was down range 80% of the time, and think of it as "cushy".  What I mean, more specifically, is that I had the ability to stay home with my kids when they were young.  I didn't have to work, and when I did work, it was on my terms and in my own home.

The job I took last year, after Crash started kindergarten, would be considered "cushy" by many.  I come and go as I please, am learning all aspects of the business with the ability to carve the path of my choosing within the organization, and we get to play with guns a lot.  I really like almost everyone I work with.  Even when we disagree, it is more of a (healthy) marriage sort of relationship - we get it out of our system and move on.

I have one co-worker that I cannot stand.  He is stupid.  Completely inept.  The kind of guy that has gotten where he is in life by nodding his head and smiling, letting people believe he is on target with whatever the subject may be, when, in fact, he is totally clueless and desperately trying to figure out what the hell is going on while keeping a pleasant look on his face.

My company sends everyone through a pretty in-depth psychological testing battery and visits to our corporate psychologist.  This guy did not test well in any area - but, he had certain credentials that were needed at the time, so they hired him anyway.  Now I have been tasked with managing the guy because no one else wants to. 

And what I have learned is that men stick up for other men, no matter how stupid they are.  They feel sorry for him.   I think they see a little piece of themselves in him.  From where I sit, we have a job to get done, and if someone can't handle it, they need to go.  Especially a guy who clearly has no long-term potential.  Stop the bleeding, save the resources, preserve the sanity of the smart people in the office who are having to work at lowest-common-denominator level.

And, in a momentary sign of weakness, when I was asked whether he should be let go or have his job duties redefined, I opted for the latter, knowing that if he were terminated, I would inherit the few responsibilities he does have.  Now I am in charge of him, which means doing all of his work for him, anyway.  I would have been better off giving him the thumbs down and getting complete ownership, not just clean up duty.

I need to help him find a government job.  He would be perfect for the DMV. 

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

"men stick up for other men, no matter how stupid they are"

I object. I won't stick up for obama or biden, and you just can't get much stupider than those two buffoons.

I also won't stick up for Jerry Jones, Rick Perry, Jim Carey, Alec Baldwin ... well, you get the idea.