March 16, 2013

The good ol' days

A few weeks ago, I wasn't feeling well one weekend morning and was snuggled up on the couch watching The Rifleman as my kids stumbled out of bed.  One by one, they sat down to join me, and were enthralled by the show.  Three or four episodes later they snapped out of their wholesome-television induced stupor and began clamoring for Saturday morning XBox slots.

This morning, a similar thing happened.  I was trying to keep quiet, as the kids worked hard the previous two days, and had gotten to bed late.  Trusty AMC must make The Rifleman a Saturday morning staple - as I soon found it again and settled in for some big-man-with-a-rifle time.  Bang got up first, walked in to say 'Good Morning', saw what I was watching and said, "Oh excellent, The Rifleman," and crawled in beside me.  Two more kids soon joined, forcing me out of my warm spot.

We all love the intro to the show - the rapid firing of Lucas McCain's trusty Winchester, the cool spin it around thing he does, before breaking the fourth wall and giving that sly look to the camera as he reloads, all while walking down the main street of North Fork.

I can't recall every episode of the show I have ever seen, but I can recall the eight I have seen the past month.  There hasn't been a single episode that there wasn't a shot fired.  Not a single episode without a crime and/or a death.  North Fork was a dangerous place!

Nearly every character open carries, young Mark and various women-folk excepted.

I don't buy for one minute, the psycho-babble about violent television and video games desensitizing children to violence.  When kids have a healthy appreciation of life and death, a sound moral base, and caring parents that aren't afraid to discipline them, they turn out okay.  My kids made several comments about wishing their life were more like the one they see Mark living on The Rifleman - and they recognize that he has chores, no electricity, and a father that would scare the bejeezus out of anyone.

If Verizon would come out with a TV channel package that was nothing but pre-1970 westerns and Fox News, I would be the first subscriber.

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

Pardon the academic nature of this response, but what appears to be a common thread among 'reputable' studies is that violence in movies, TV shows, and games tends to encourage people who already have a tendency towards violent behavior to act that way.

In other words, it doesn't affect everyone. It does, however, appear to make those with a certain predilection towards violent behavior more likely to actually engage in such behavior.

cantsab 809