March 1, 2013

The 2200

How's your memory?

I notice mine going a bit.  I find it more and more important to write things down - and that is working out.  I am not sure what will happen when I start to forget where I put the list, or can't remember the importance of the things on it.  I still think I have a pretty decent memory.  Mr H would say I never forget anything he does wrong...

After reading the story below, I tried to mentally walk through an exercise wherein I named any 2,200 unique people.  I thought that I could list family, friends, colleagues, and then move on to celebrities; naming favorites authors and actors.  It would be a frustrating challenge.

A Navy veteran, Ron White, recalled the 2,200 names of military members killed in Afghanistan.  Working for over 11 hours, he wrote each name, from memory, on a mobile memorial wall:


Mr. White will be repeating this feat, in other places around the country, to honor his fallen brethren.  What a lovely way to let families know that their loved ones are remembered for their service.

2 comments:

kerrcarto said...

That. Is impressive!!

InsomniacSeeker said...

Very impressive. I sort of took this as a challenge, and I'm up to 350 names so far. I work on it a little each day. I don't think I'll get to 2200.