February 26, 2013

Control

Why is it that smoke alarm batteries never begin their slow death chirp during daylight hours?

As I was teetering on the top of a step stool at 4 am, changing the BACK UP battery in one of the hallway smoke detectors, I was also seething at the erosion of personal responsibility and basic rights that put me in that position.

Of course I care about my family's safety.  I appreciate technology that may one day save me from a fire in my home.  I do not appreciate that building regulations require only hardwired alarms, connected in a series, which causes all of them to go wonky when only one has an actual issue.

In further building code ridiculousness, an alarm is required in every bedroom, as well as in the hallway immediately outside of every bedroom.  It took me 10 minutes and a towel for muffling purposes to figure out which of the four alarms in a 5-foot radius, was chirping.

If I want to remove a dying battery from one of more than a dozen alarms in my house until daylight, I should be able to do so without the rest of the alarms in the series screeching at me.  Seriously, what are the chances that the ONE morning that I take ONE back up battery out of ONE smoke alarm will be the morning that a fire starts where only that ONE alarm could sense it and the one 18 inches away from it couldn't?  GMAFB. 

Perhaps the most famous nanny in the country is Michael Bloomberg.  His bigger-than-16-ounces-soda ban goes into effect in a couple of weeks, after previous successes with trans fat, baby formula, and salt.  As recent articles note, some of the unintended, and asinine, consequences of the upcoming ban are coming to the surface
For instance, ordering a 2-liter bottle of Coke, Pepsi, Sprite or whatever the family desires with a pizza delivery won’t be allowed. Even pitchers of soda at children’s birthday parties are going to be a no-no under Bloomberg’s far-reaching ban, according to the paper.
The exceptions and allowances are varied and nonsensical:
Diet sodas and alcoholic beverages are not covered by the ban, fruit smoothies are okay as long as they don’t have added sugar and coffee drinks and milkshakes pass muster if they contain at least 50 percent milk. Drinks with added sugar must not contain more than 3.125 calories per ounce.
How in the world do you police the amount of milk and added sugar in coffee?  Will Starbucks have to ration out sugar packets and pre-measured creamer, instead of the standard condiment bar?

More importantly, who are the people that elected this clown?

Who are we, that keep letting the government intrude on basic personal responsibilities?  I am tired of having to submit to laws and regulations that are intended to address issues at the lowest common denominator.

3 comments:

InsomniacSeeker said...

Oh, I imagine the general public will become his "police" on these things and start turning Starbucks and everyone else in. I wonder if there's a tipline set up yet for the tattlers?

CenTexTim said...

Don't forget those 'illegal' incandescent light bulbs and non-lowflow toilets.

Anonymous said...

CTT And don't forget the one sheet of toilet paper.

Mel.