January 31, 2013

They don't make 'em like that anymore...

By the time I was born, there was a television in every home, mostly color.  My grandparents did have one of those huge modern (for the time) cabinet television and record player combos built into a cabinet that took up the better part of one wall. 

I remember spending weeks on the farm in the summer.  The TV didn't really get turned on that much - just for an hour or two at midday for my Grandma's "serials" and on Saturday nights.  Saturday meant Lawrence Welk on TV, with bubbles, corny musical numbers, and dancing old people.  If there was rain to chase me inside, I would sit and flip through the stack of albums, bemoaning the lack of Shaun Cassidy, and wondering why anyone would listen to that 'old' stuff.

I didn't appreciate the music my grandparents used to play.  I didn't appreciate the stories of sitting huddled around the radio to listen to shows.  Now I wonder if anyone in the family kept that great collection of music, from the 20's hot jazz that my grandmother won Charleston contests dancing to in her youth, to swing, big band, waltzes - some of which resides in fully remastered glory on my iPod today.

I didn't appreciate it then, but I love that music now.  I can't imagine that my grandchildren will have the same nostalgia if/when I play my Disco Duck album for them.  They just don't make music like they used to.

RIP Patty Andrews, you will be fondly remembered.


No comments: