December 24, 2012

The Eve

As we have been reminded, I remind you - hold your loved ones close this holiday.  Don't let any opportunity to cherish your family pass you by.

I marked the time just now, it was 7:03 am, when the first (and youngest) child asked for the first time today, what time we would be going to grandma's house.  (We open our presents to and from the grandparents on Christmas Eve).  The Princess was up thirty minutes earlier, searching for that dang Elf, and already in tears that he will be leaving us tonight.  I think there might be a lesson in that, but I am not currently capable of delving deeply into the morality lessons to be found in my children's differing priorities.

News of the tragedy in our neighborhood has spurred many conversations, one with a neighbor a few doors down, who just put a 'For Sale by Owner' sign in their yard.  While not close or social, we are friendly, so I was taken aback to learn that the man of the house had gone through cancer treatment earlier this year.  Though healthy now, they had taken stock of their lives and decided that they wanted to live differently, downsize the house, spend more time doing things as a family instead of maintaining material items.  That same thought process has been at the back of my mind for some time now.

Family is where it's at, Jack.  I have no doubt.  Though it is a week away, that word (family) has become my resolution. 

No comments: