November 4, 2012

Falling Back

As enticing as it sounds, the reality of getting an "extra" hour of sleep was at odds with my body clock this morning. I frequently wake throughout the night, and the first thing I do is glance at the clock - so, I made sure to change all of the clocks (that wouldn't auto-update) before I turned in last night.  Seemed odd to be getting to bed before 10 pm, but less so when I was wide awake at 4 am.

Boom was scheduled for flag duty this morning, and the mom in me called her to make sure she was aware of the time change.  She was, though she was, IMHO, youthfully reliant on the fact that her cell phone, which doubles as her alarm clock, would make the change and wake her accordingly.  And at 10 pm, she was just headed out for the evening.  That extra hour probably came in handy for her.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of people will be an hour early for work, church, sporting events, and other set activities today.  And for what?  The idea that our society is married to the clock, rather than adaptable to daylight patterns seems idiotic to me.  I come from farming stock, and what the clock says is inconsequential when there are crops to be planted or harvested, animals to tend to, work to be done.

Many of the arguments for Daylight Saving Time are related to activities requiring daylight and energy consumption.  The energy consumption argument has to be the most farfetched in this day and age.  What industry is it that is spending millions of dollars developing new technologies that don't require energy for their use?  I can name industries trying to come up with new ways to produce energy, but none that are taking all of the devices our world now considers vital, and trying to invent ones that don't need manufactured energy to operate.  The original idea that incandescent lighting savings is enough to demand that everyone change their clocks was long ago rendered moot.

In fact, as more and more of our world is dependent on computer guided systems to run virtually everything, one can surmise that the twice a year time shift causes significant opportunities for error.  It's like a mini Y2K twice a year.  I am curious as to how things like medicine dosage are handled at hospitals.  If a patient has been getting something every 12 hours, with the duty nurses dosing at, say 8 am and 8 pm, do they stick to the time schedule or stay married to the 12 hour interval?  You would think they would stick to the time interval, but that gets real confusing across an entire hospital population with new people coming in, etc.

When I lived in Germany, they didn't observe DST, so for most of the summer, the time difference between family in the states and us in Germany was an additional hour off.  I think that Arizona and Hawaii are smart cookies for not buying into DST.  Maybe I will be a little rebel and refuse to change next summer, I will operate on standard time all year and during the summer demand that everyone acknowledge that I am on Harper time and they should adjust their schedules accordingly.  

No comments: