October 9, 2012

Wood and Balls

Last night I watched Tim Tebow push his way to a short yardage first down, and then knock helmets with a teammate in celebration.  I thought that it wasn't the smartest thing he could do, but could appreciate that a man his size, having just completed an important play, might get a little carried away.  Luckily, no one was hurt and the game went on.

Mr. H and I have frequent discussions about my *unpopular* view on the use of medical intervention in professional sports.  I think that if a professional athlete requires medical attention beyond a simple blood-stanching wrap or ice pack in between plays, they should leave the game.  It drives me crazy to watch players take oxygen on the sidelines, to hear of them going to the locker room for I.V. fluids, or getting injections to dull or mask pain.  Play the game or get off the field.  If you have an injury that impedes your game, then you shouldn't play.

Professional soccer isn't very popular in our country, and I would venture to guess it is because of the dearth of athletes able to stay on the field, in near constant motion, for 90+ minutes at a time.  When they leave the field, it is often on a stretcher.

Rugby is nearly unheard of in the USA and I will venture a guess as to why:  We just aren't tough enough.  Boys, you just go ahead and double over in a sympathetic posture for this tidbit:
British rugby league player Paul Wood has lost a testicle after a collision during the English sport's showpiece final at Manchester's Old Trafford stadium on Saturday.
Wood was playing for the Warrington Wolves against Leeds Rhinos in the Super League Grand Final.
The prop sustained the injury one minute into the second half, but managed to play the rest of the match before seeking treatment.
Good Lord, Almighty!  I had to look it up - they play 40-minute halves.  Name one NFL player that could play 39 minutes with a ruptured testicle.  Oh, and they play without helmets and pads to begin with.

At least the gentleman has a sense of humor (and already had two kids).
"Just coming out the hospital to go home... Seriously feel like I've left something?

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

What's the big deal? He's still got another one...

Seriously, rugby players are crazy-tough. I get the 'no helmet, no pads' thing, but at least wear a cup.

As for soccer ... yawn...