October 14, 2012

Spooky Season

I love haunted houses, or I used to.  I haven't been to a really good one in years.  Growing up, each fall I would make the rounds of the haunted houses.  Since having children, who don't seem as inclined to pay to have the crap scared out of them, it's been corn mazes and not-so-scary kid friendly haunts.

Way back in the early 80's, in Kansas City, there was a haunted house that I loved.  The building was old, with several floors that were used for the experience.  The premise one year was ascending through several stories of various scary themes, ending up on the top floor in a white, twinkly-light 'heaven'.  Just as you were taking a deep breath, thinking you were at the end, personnel grabbed you and sent you down a 4 or 5 story slide into 'hell'.  Satan was at the bottom to scream in your face and then direct you to the gift shop. 

Satan had a huge live snake draped over his shoulders.  My mother is deathly afraid of snakes.  She came off that burlap bag at the bottom of the slide and took off running, freaked the hell out by the snake.  A police officer, hired for security and crowd control, took off after her, as it wasn't a great neighborhood and she was clearly in distress.  What my mom heard was a voice and footsteps chasing after her, and assumed it was the guy with the snake, so she kept going.

I don't know what finally got her to stop, but several minutes later she came walking back with the officer and got just close enough to gather us up to leave.  Best haunted house ever.

I don't get up to the Niagra Falls area much, but if I did, I would certainly try to make it by the haunted house responsible for this picture (more at the link).

 

1 comment: