September 30, 2012

Teach your children well

I am related to a bunch of assholes.

I know every family has their share, but I really thought that my extended family at least had the same general core values, the same sense of compassion, duty, care.  They do not.

In a replay quite similar to this time last year, I am soon traveling to visit a beloved uncle who is losing his fight with cancer.  An uncle that has, throughout his life, been a stalwart man of faith.  I have never heard him raise his voice or say an unkind word - ever.  That kind of a good guy.  He and my aunt adopted two children when they couldn't have them otherwise.  Worked hard all his life, retiring several years ago to travel and enjoy life, only to have it cut short by a rare and aggressive form of cancer.


I can hardly speak (or type) about the myriad ways his grown children are failing him.  They are two selfish, rude, greedy little pieces of shit.  The only good thing about them being absent, is that they can't make any demands on Uncle P and my aunt. 

And the rest of the family?  Where the hell are they?  I live 500+ miles away and have been clearing my schedule for visits since I got word that he was heading home with hospice care.  There are family members that live within 10 miles that haven't bothered to stop by. 

Name one thing more important than expressing love for someone who's life is ending.  

I guess I am really no better than the assholes I am related to.  They show they are cold-hearted jerks by what they aren't doing and I show my bad side by the things I am doing.  Like wishing them a lifetime of regret and pain.  Deep, unrelenting, excruciating pain. 

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

I'm a firm believer in karma. They'll eventually get what they deserve ... as will we all.