September 28, 2012

More like this...

Can we get less bad news and more stuff like this?
Adam Greenberg’s major league baseball dream came true on July 9, 2005 and ended moments later when he was hit in the head by a 92-per-mile per hour pitch.
But after a nationwide push, the 31-year-old Guilford native is getting one more chance. It will be with the Miami Marlins, the team he was batting against when he was hit.
Way to go Marlins!  I love it when, in the midst of the 'we can't do that', 'what about the liability issues' mindset of today's society, some one steps up to the plate and does a good thing for another human being.  Mr. Greenberg won't have to go through the rest of his life saying 'if only...'.

And, cheers to this brave young woman:
After someone snapped a photo of her and posted it on online, Balpreet Kaur was ridiculed for following the tenants of her Sikh faith. But instead of hiding or lashing out, she politely posted a reply—and turned a bullying situation into a inspiring example of tolerance, support, and inspiration.
Someone snapped a less than flattering photo of Ms Kaur standing in line at her college library (Ohio State), without her knowledge. Then said person posted it on Reddit and the disparaging comments began.  Ms Kaur was wearing traditional Sikh headcover and has facial hair that was caused by teenage hormone fluctuations.  Her religion forbids altering the body.

The average college age person probably would have reacted with much less grace and class.  People were making very disparaging comments about her.  But she didn't.  She said this:
Hey, guys. This is Balpreet Kaur, the girl from the picture. I actually didn't know about this until one of my friends told on facebook. If the OP wanted a picture, they could have just asked and I could have smiled :) However, I'm not embarrased or even humiliated by the attention [negative and positve] that this picture is getting because, it's who I am. Yes, I'm a baptized Sikh woman with facial hair. Yes, I realize that my gender is often confused and I look different than most women. However, baptized Sikhs believe in the sacredness of this body - it is a gift that has been given to us by the Divine Being [which is genderless, actually] and, must keep it intact as a submission to the divine will. Just as a child doesn't reject the gift of his/her parents, Sikhs do not reject the body that has been given to us. By crying 'mine, mine' and changing this body-tool, we are essentially living in ego and creating a seperateness between ourselves and the divinity within us. By transcending societal views of beauty, I believe that I can focus more on my actions. My attitude and thoughts and actions have more value in them than my body because I recognize that this body is just going to become ash in the end, so why fuss about it? When I die, no one is going to remember what I looked like, heck, my kids will forget my voice, and slowly, all physical memory will fade away. However, my impact and legacy will remain: and, by not focusing on the physical beauty, I have time to cultivate those inner virtues and hopefully, focus my life on creating change and progress for this world in any way I can. So, to me, my face isn't important but the smile and the happiness that lie behind the face are. :-) So, if anyone sees me at OSU, please come up and say hello. I appreciate all of the comments here, both positive and less positive because I've gotten a better understanding of myself and others from this. Also, the yoga pants are quite comfortable and the Better Together tshirt is actually from Interfaith Youth Core, an organization that focuses on storytelling and engagement between different faiths. :) I hope this explains everything a bit more, and I apologize for causing such confusion and uttering anything that hurt anyone.
What a beautiful soul.

2 comments:

CharlieDelta said...

I like this:
"...some one steps up to the plate and does a good thing..."

I'm not sure what that's called, as far as a writing technique or style goes, but I always try to work in something like that (a pun?) when I write, but never really am too successful when I try. That or it's lame, or no one even notices. :-( LOL!

CharlieDelta said...

Oh, and about the girl. Good for her! She handled herself a heck of a lot better than most people I know (including myself) if they were in that situation. Can you imagine if that was a Moose-limb being ridiculed like that? I can't, because it never would've made Yahoo news in the first place because 'Reddit' or whatever the name of that site was that the picture was posted at would've taken it down immediately and probably prosecuted the person who posted it for "hate crime" violations, blah, blah, blah.

This story should be mandatory reading/viewing/listening for any and all of the thin-skinned, over-sensitive, cry-baby, loud-mouth moose-limbs around the world. Maybe even a fraction of her response would sink into their little angry and violent minds. Nah, who am I trying to kid. They'll never get it.

I've never met anyone of the Sikh faith that I know of, but now if I do I'll know what the deal is if it's a woman and she has facial hair. I've never really made fun of any person(s)(besides those that wrap themselves in the bloody cloth of the barbaric death cult and political faction known as islam, and that's only because they bring it upon themselves) because of their faith (or lack of faith) in a higher power greater than us mortal humans. I don't see how anyone can ridicule another for their faith (or lack of faith) when nobody has definitive proof one way or the other until it's too late and they have no choice but to find out?

I would rather believe in God (or whoever) and be wrong in the end than to not believe in God (or whoever) and be wrong in the end, but that's just me. Has been forever.

As a kid I remember my grandma had a little facial hair but she was a Christian. And just old. God rest her soul...