September 7, 2012

I'll see your vet bill and raise you...

A few weeks ago, CenTexTim shared his doggie's surgery tale.  He hasn't posted any updates, but I assume that dog and owner have recovered.  If his vet charges anywhere in the ballpark of what mine does, I would bet that his wallet hasn't recovered. 

Our Lab, Gus, had a little surprise surgery yesterday.  Last month, he suddenly had a lump on his head one day.  When I say suddenly, I mean, I was petting his head, he went outside for half and hour and came back in with a bump the size of a walnut on his head, right where I had been petting him.

We thought he got stung or bitten by something and gave him some Benadryl for a couple of days. He wasn't at all bothered by it, so we decided to wait a few days to see what happened.

Ultimately, the lump went away.  Then it came back.  Usually on Friday evenings, one of us would notice it coming back and we would decide to call the vet first thing Monday.  Of course, the lump was gone by Monday.  Since it kept coming back in the exact same spot, I took Gus to visit the dog doc yesterday.

We don't have the pathology back, but the vet is fairly certain it was a mast cell tumor.  Reading up on it, I would say it is a textbook case.  Hopefully, it will be a stage 1 tumor and we are done.  In hindsight, we are a little worried that this was actually the second tumor, as he had a growth removed from his paw a couple of years ago that is eerily similar in character.  

The cost of the surgery didn't exceed the swallowed ball fiasco, but it was still way more than we had budgeted for animal care.  All this college and dog surgery is cutting in to my Shiner budget. 

I kinda like the soft Cone of Shame, makes him look like a flower...

5 comments:

The Whited Sepulchre said...

He looks like an art project.

CenTexTim said...

Okay, you win. Gus is a bigger resource hog than our mutt.

BTW, the vet gave us we got a clear plastic collar of shame so the dog could see potential obstacles and avoid them. Didn't work...

Harper said...

We have an array of cones, including a clear plastic one that tends to take 1/4 inch swaths out of calves and door jambs. I have seriously considered attaching some pipe insulation around the rim. We are also pet sitting for my parents and had to cone their dog, as he is OCD and started gnawing on his paw. He has an awesome padded cone with reflective fabric that scares the shit out of me at night.

CenTexTim said...

Did you ever in your wildest dreams think that someday you'd sit around comparing different types of cones of shame?

Life sure takes some strange turns...

Harper said...

At least we aren't to the daily bowel movement discussion age.