September 5, 2012

I hate Verizon and Microsoft, especially Microsoft

I couldn't watch the Wookie speak last night, but Mr H kept flipping over, waiting for our local news to start.  Those little snippets, with the linebacker shoulders and smug smile looking back at me, probably caused some of my nightmares.

I also lost much sleep last night fuming over a disastrous customer service experience - if you know of a way to talk to an actual native English-speaker (above call center-level management) at Microsoft that can comprehend a very straightforward issue and has the ability to make decisions, let me know.

Woke up (for good) to a Verizon idiocy issue.  I have decided that many of the issues that consumers face are the result of online ordering and fulfillment systems that have been created and programmed by a generation of people who have no real life experience, and instead, rely on their years of role playing fantasy games.

I changed our service bundle over the weekend.  Dumped liberal HBO, got faster internet speed and a new channel package.  All I wanted to do was dump HBO, but any changes to my account negated the protected status of my internet and TV package that haven't been offered since 2009.  The internet and channel changes were forced upon me.  Also forced upon me is something called 'digital voice', which seems to be quite similar to VOIP phone systems.  I really don't care, it is our dinosaur land line, which exists for elderly relatives that still rely on the number they have written on their Rolodex.

When the original order processed, there was a pop up window warning me that the voice mail service we had would migrate to the digital system.  We would have to record new greeting messages and transfer any saved messages from our old box.  We would have to use a new retrieval phone number, as well.

Within hours, I had a 'services installed' email and, sure enough,  HBO was gone and the internet speed tested out higher.  I picked up the phone and tried the snazzy new *86 feature to dial in to voice mail and set it up.  I got a message saying that the feature wasn't active on this number.  I dialed the ten digit version.  Same message.  I dialed the old voice mail number and got a message that I had the new service and needed to call a different number or dial *86.  I waited a day, thinking it might not be active yet.  Then two days, still no go.

This morning I decided to try the online account manager.  It welcomed me to the new service.  It walked me through set up, with the same reminders to set up my new greeting and transfer old messages.  I set up all the online features and was taken to the final account management page.  I clicked on the 'voice mail' menu tab only to be given a message that I was NOT subscribed to voice mail, but the feature was free and included in my phone package, I just needed to order it.  Twelve or thirteen clicks later, I had the free service ordered, got the SAME confirmation email, but, it actually worked when I picked up my phone.

Doesn't this sound like some teenage fantasy role playing game?
You start the game sleeping inside your home in the Kokiri Forest. When Navi 
the Fairy comes, you'll wake up. Leave your house and a girl named Saria will 
greet you. Climb down the ladder and talk to her, then run up the small hill 
and go to the left. Go around or climb over the fences to reach the wall. 
When the Action button says "Enter", push A and crawl through the passageway. 
There will be a maze with a boulder moving through it. Get through to the 
back of the maze and open the chest there to get the Kokiri Sword.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Using is regular landline is like having a dinosaur around. Our business upgraded to a VoIP phone system and there was a learning curve but I like it so much more now.