July 25, 2012

What I hate about Chick-Fil-A...

I shouldn't say 'hate', so let's go with the thing I strongly dislike:  They are closed on Sunday.

I can't tell you how many times I have gotten in my car and driven to Chick-Fil-A on a Sunday, not remembering they were closed until I pulled into the empty parking lot.  

And that is the only thing I don't like.

I don't care what the owner thinks about gay marriage.  Isn't the root of tolerance the ability to tolerate and appreciate that everyone has their own opinion and belief system?   Isn't the root of community finding like-minded people to share life with? 

So why is it that every time some conservative person speaks their mind, the liberals immediately label it as intolerant hate speech?  And then when like-minded people join in with words of support, they are branded as bigots?

We are all as free as we want to be.  It is as simple as that.  Do not stand there and demand that I agree with you, or support the things you support.  Stand tall on your own, believing what you will, speaking your mind and appreciating that your ability to do so also depends on my ability to believe what I will and express those sentiments as I see fit.

Tomorrow, I am going to go to Chick-Fil-A.  Not because Dan Cathy is Baptist, closes his stores on Sunday and believes that the Bible teaches that marriage is between one man and one woman.  I will go to Chick-Fil-A because I like the food.  The people are friendly.  They give me free food (I still have one dessert left to redeem on my Mother's Day dessert card).  Once or twice a year they will give anyone in a cow costume a free meal.  They donate and deeply discount chicken sandwiches for local schools and groups.  They have carrot raisin salad.  They have awesome ketchup packets.  I love the waffle fries.

And all this press coverage has me hungry for some nuggets and an iced tea.

No comments: