July 12, 2012

Oh.Hell.No.

Every August I get a major case of the ass, when presented with the annual school supply list.  Today I am not bitching about the ridiculous demands, the quantities, the specificity or the cost (though each is worthy of their own post).

As discount chains and office supply stores gear up for the shopping season, I like to have our lists at the ready, so I don't miss out on a key consumer savings opportunity.  Yesterday, I shuffled through the 'back-to-school' packet that was given out at the end of the school year.  I pulled out The List.

Among the usual suspects was this:
Crayola Washable Multicultural Markers, 8 count
Multicultural markers?  WTF? Needless to say, I ain't buying them.


Behold, 'ethnically sensitive' markers, 'specialty markers represent skin tone, hair colors and eye colors.  Represents the diversity of our world.  Includes tan, beige, tawny, golden beige, terra cotta, mahogany and sienna.'.  GMAFB. 

Mr Harper is a fair-skinned redhead with hazel eyes.  None of those colors are represented in the multicultural pack.  They got something against Irish guys?  None of my family's eye colors are represented, for that matter.  Don't try to tell me that the standard blue and green in the Classic marker pack is supposed to suffice - those colors are no more accurate than using black to draw Obama.

Why is it that caucasian isn't a culture or heritage worth recognition or special products?  And why is it that pointing it out makes me a racist?

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

What color is an illegal immigrant - terra cotta...?