July 31, 2012

From IRS to EX

Yesterday was unequivocally the worst day I have had in years that didn't involve someone's death.  Now, most of it was just pain-in-the-ass kinds of things, but those things stacked up along with the more intense crap and made it a toss up on whether to cry, drink or play in traffic.

My morning started with a call from the IRS.  Those three letters make you clinch up, no matter what.  The heavily accented field agent was calling to inform me that the 2010 tax records for the foundation I work for were being 'reviewed'.  I am awaiting the letter detailing the documents that she wants to see - I have nothing to fear as our record-keeping is stellar, but the IRS automatically puts me on the defensive. 

My day ended with a call from my ex-husband.  He never calls me.  Once Boom had a cell phone, he stopped communicating with me directly.  So, I wasn't expecting good news when I saw his number pop up.  What I didn't expect was such a glaring reminder of what a prick he is. His mom called last month, seething at him, thanking my husband for being the father to Boom that her son wasn't.  When the mother-in-law is disavowing you in favor of the first wife, shouldn't that be some sort of clue that you are a failure in the parenting department?

In between those two events were car repair frustrations, a near accident, a late flight, an unexpected and large dental bill, disappointed kid, large home repair issue and it was 107 degrees.

Trying hard to be thankful for a home, health, the love of my family and a well stocked liquor cabinet.

5 comments:

InsomniacSeeker said...

I have a suggestion. On your next trip to A&M, after you get finished, just keep heading south until you hit the beach. -Tina

CenTexTim said...

Things could be worse. You could have two ex-spouses...

Things will look better once the liquor cabinet is a little less well stocked.

KatWA55 said...

I feel for ya, darlin' but I love your war stories. I have my husband's 24 year old mentally ill, homeless niece living in my dining room. Apparently she was never taught basic hygiene or any of the life skills that an average 10 year old knows. She needs medication and constant reminders to take showers, brush her teeth and wash her clothes. The reason she's in my dining room is that my two adult daughters are living with us as well. I long for those empty nester days......Thanks, Barack!

Harper said...

Tim: I do have two, just like you. The late flight I hinted at was my son returning home from ten days with the other ex, in which he apparently did nothing but watch television, play video games and cop an attitude when he came back to a life of chores and responsibility!

KatWA55 - Misery loves company, right? Keep your chin up and pray for change in November.

CenTexTim said...

Oh Lord - TWO ex's?!? That means twice as many trips to the liquor cabinet.

BTW - you stole my thunder. I've got something on nanny Bloomberg coming up in a couple of days. Great minds...