June 27, 2012

Shedding Senoritas

This morning I woke up in College Station, Texas.  Again.  Second time this month.  I know of eight more trips planned before the end of the year.  I have been making a comprehensive list of which hotels are obviously skeezy and which are worth a try. 

One of the things I like about restaurants in C-Stat is the requirement to post health inspection scores.  That takes quite a bit of the guess work out of things. 

I often laugh when we go to the Costco snack bar back home.  I am not sure if it is store or city policy, but the workers that have facial hair have to wear one of those paper shower cap things over their face, along with their head.  I am still not sure what purpose is served by making food service workers cover their hair.  Is there something particularly disturbing about hair falling into food?  Is it more or less worrisome than saliva?  We had a Whataburger drive-thru worker with a heck of a speech impediment the other day.  I couldn't help but wonder how much she was spraying on the food she was tasked with preparing.

Though I don't know that I understand the necessity of the hair net for sanitation purposes, I certainly understand the need from an aesthetic and gross-out point of view.  While a random hair in the food at home is just removed, when it is a stranger's hair, all bets are off. 

While we are at it, can we make hotel housekeeping employees wear a hair net?  I am sick to death of checking into a hotel and finding long, dark hair.  Especially in the towels.  The kids jumped in the pool upon arrival today and, as I dried off little Crash, there was a long, thick, dark hair sticking to his face.  Gag.  Went up to the room to rinse off, grabbed a new towel and, you guessed it, there was another dark hair. 

Hopefully we have left the hairy towels behind, as we had to switch rooms due to an ant issue in the first.  No way I will sleep tonight as every little tickle will make me think ants are crawling on me.

This too shall pass, and in two days time I will be headed to my favorite road trip of the year to hang with some of the best people I know.   I can almost taste the Shiner now...

No comments: