May 21, 2012

It's the Constitution, Stupid.

The Archdiocese of New York, headed by Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C., headed by Cardinal Donald Wuerl, the University of Notre Dame, and 40 other Catholic dioceses and organizations around the country announced on Monday that they are suing the Obama administration for violating their freedom of religion, which is guaranteed by the First Amendment to the Constitution.

The dioceses and organizations, in different combinations, are filing 12 different lawsuits filed in federal courts around the country.

The Archdiocese of Washington, D.C. has established a special website--preservereligiousfreedom.org--to explain its lawsuit and present news and developments concerning it.
God Bless 'Em.  Without any disrespect, I would like to say that the Catholic leadership has huevos grandes.  I wonder if the Blowie crew knew this was coming.  This isn't a small story, this is twelve lawsuits filed on behalf of 43 institutions.  This is a professional PR campaign, kicked off in concert with the lawsuits, just months before the election.  The website is gorgeous and comprehensive.  I clicked through every page I could find, looking for the 'donate now' button.  Never found it.  The 'How to Help' tab asks for two things.  To say this prayer:

Loving Father, Thank you for the gift of life and for the freedom to love and worship You. Through the power of the Holy Spirit inspire us to be your witnesses. Grant us the courage to boldly and joyfully stand in protection of our freedom. In your mercy, guard our religious freedom so we may continue to live out our faith and transform the world in which we live. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

And to share the information and website with 5 friends. I think at least five of you are reading this, so I have done what they asked.

I am not Catholic.  I don't care to impose my religious or contraceptive beliefs on anyone (other than my children).  I do believe in our Constitutionally guaranteed rights, and applaud anyone and everyone who is willing to take a stand against those who would suppress those freedoms.

2 comments:

CenTexTim said...

Hopefully it's not blasphemous to say "Give 'em Hell" to the Catholics.

CharlieDelta said...

If there were 12 different lawsuits filed by some rag-head imams and cair "in different combinations" you could guarantee there would've been 12 out of 12 victories for the stinkbeards.

Since it's Catholic dioceses and organizations filing the lawsuits, you can count on a 4 out of 12 victories at best for the Catholics; maybe even less.

I wasn't raised Catholic, nor do I go to church every Sunday, but I was raised Christian and I believe in the power of prayer. I am going to print out this prayer and post it where I know I'll see it at least once a day so I can remember to say it.

God help us!